In this section:
Why is MVC diagnosis the Gold Standard?
We thoroughly examine, with ultrasound, not only the deep veins, the perforator veins, and the main superficial vein (Greater Saphenous Vein, the easiest to evaluate) but, also, we do the following:
- Small Saphenous Vein: We always examine the small Saphenous vein (source of 20% of problems). This vein is ignored by 50% of vein centers. Yet, it is a frequent source of pain, edema and cramping.
- Giacomini, Anterior and Posterior Accessory Veins: These three smaller veins that are more difficult to visualize, video, measure and access are the source of another 20% of problems. Again, these are not examined or treated in most vein centers. This thoroughness, by itself, gives our vein centers the ability to assess and treat an additional 40% of vein problems usually missed at other centers. A ‘quicky’ ultrasound by a physician will never be as in-depth as this much more complete exam by our specialists.
- Standing Exam: Additionally, we always do our evaluation with the patient standing….this is a gravity problem, after all! Technicians at most vascular surgeon offices and hospitals do a lying down exam because they treat mostly arteries. They miss a lot of vein problems our specialized and registered vascular technicians find.
- Standardized Challenge: We use a unique and expensive piece of equipment in all of our clinics. At most centers the ultrasound technician simply uses a hand to squeeze the calf to force blood upward and evaluate whether or not it is falling backward against broken valves. We use a device that provides a uniform circumferential squeeze to around diastolic pressure and a rapid release…..thus standardizing of the challenge producing better and more reproducible results.
- Arterial Testing: We always perform an evaluation to rule out Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD) as a contributing factor to your leg problems. This includes not only the standard ABI blood pressure ratios but also the ultrasound waveforms of the major arteries in the legs. These tests are used to detect hardening and blockage of arteries.
Why is this especially thorough evaluation necessary?
In order to provide the best treatment, Mountcastle Vein Centers begins with the best information on your veins in order to provide a proper and complete diagnosis. At Mountcastle Vein Centers you will have the best diagnostic evaluation available and subsequently the best treatment. We thoroughly examine the veins and arteries in each leg, and the results of our vein and artery ultrasounds are faxed immediately to your primary care doctor for review and inclusion in your recorda.
What are MVC’s 6 “elegant” treatments?
Why are treatments at Mountcastle Vein Center considered elegant?
In the practice of medicine, “elegant” is often used to describe procedures that are (1) very safe, (2) relatively painless, and (3) very effective. At Mountcastle Vein Centers, all of our treatments are very safe, relatively painless, and very effective. In addition, all Mountcastle Vein Center treatments are done in our clinics as an outpatient, require little to no “downtime,” and are completely non-surgical. Also, 99% of our procedures are paid for by either Medicare or other major insurances.
Mountcastle Vein Centers will treat your vein issues with our safe, effective, and elegant procedures. Your treatment at Mountcastle Vein Centers will be specialized for your exhibited symptoms and will include one or more of the following procedures:
EVLT – Endovenous Laser Treatment (Treats large, interior failed veins)
AP – Micro-Ambulatory Phlebectomy (Treats visible varicose veins at the surface of the leg branches)
UGS – Ultrasound Guided Sclerotherapy (Treats hidden, interior varicose veins)
MST – Multiple Surface Vein Sclerotherapy (Treats small, visible varicose veins and reticular veins at the surface of the leg)
SVT – Superficial Telangiectasia (Spider Veins) Sclerotherapy (Treats fine, red spider veins at the surface of the skin)
VG – VeinGogh Radiofrequency Closure (Treats fine, red spider veins at the surface of the skin)
Why are MVC’s treatments so safe?
Safety is one of the many advantages of care at a center that specializes in veins such as Mountcastle Vein Centers. We the have vast experience of having performed tens of thousands of procedures and continue to perfect our systems of care with increased safety measures. Our certified clinical staff uses trusted, state-of-the-art technology and is trained according to American College of Phlebology standards. Our orientation is primarily medical lending a conservative edge to all that we recommend.
How many visits to fix my vein issues?
Treatment at Mountcastle Vein Centers requires three diagnostic clinical appointments at one of our five convenient locations. Each of our patients have an Educational Consultation clinic visit, a Complete Diagnostic Ultrasound clinic visit and a Review of Diagnostic Testing clinic visit. Further visits depend on the patient’s diagnosis and needed treatments.
Is there downtime? Does it hurt?
Is there downtime?
Patients return to work and normal activity the day of treatment or the day after treatment for all procedures done at Mountcastle Vein Centers. Our procedures are all outpatient, office based, ambulatory procedures. There are no exercise restrictions post-procedure. We do recommend keeping the AP (varicose vein) punctures dry for a week and avoiding sunbathing after SVT and MST for two weeks.
Does it hurt?
Treatments at Mountcastle Vein Centers are relatively pain free and are done as outpatient procedures with local anesthesia when small injections are needed. Our procedures are all non-surgical and are performed in our clinics.